BOTOX® and Dysport®
How Does BOTOX® Remove Wrinkles?
BOTOX®, and other neuromodulators such as Dysport®, utilize a natural, purified protein to reduce lines and wrinkles by temporarily weakening the muscles that cause them. When injected, these substances block nerve signals to the muscle fibres, causing them to contract less forcefully, and ultimately eliminating the lines they produce.
What Can BOTOX® and Dysport® Injection Treatments Achieve?
From subtle enhancements and corrections to more dramatic alterations, injection treatments can achieve incredible results.
Uses for BOTOX® Include:
- Minimizing crow’s feet
- Relaxing the downward pull on the corners of the mouth
- Softening smile lines
- Softening pebble-like chin contractions
- Relaxing the lines around the eyes
- Widening the eyes
- Lifting or balancing the brow
- Reducing a gummy smile
- Softening the vertical bands that appear around your neck as you age
- Eliminating crinkled appearance on the nose
- Slimming of the jaw/face
- Treating hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) of underarms, hands and feet (Consultation Required)
- Therapeutic intervention for migraines (Consultation Required)
- Therapeutic intervention of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders (Consultation Required).
For a comprehensive list of all BOTOX® treatment options beyond those listed above, please contact our office.
Maintaining Natural Beauty With BOTOX®
Our providers perform with care and precision, treating areas of concern with a moderate approach to produce natural results. Their expert touch will help you address your areas of concern while still retaining your natural ability to express emotion. The key to this is making sure the muscles are relaxed enough that wrinkles and creases are reduced, but not so relaxed that your movement and expression are eliminated.
BOTOX® Pre- & Post-treatment Instructions
Before Your Treatment
- 3 days before treatment: AVOID waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated
- 7 days before treatment (to prevent bruising): AVOID blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen and Aleve. Please note: If you have cardiovascular history, please check with your doctor prior to stopping the use of Aspirin.
- 7 days before treatment (to prevent bruising): AVOID herbal supplements such as Garlic, Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s Wort and Omega-3 capsules.
- Do not drink alcohol 24 hours before or after your treatment to avoid extra bruising.
- Do not use BOTOX® if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you suffer from any neurological disorders. Please inform us if you have any questions about this prior to treatment.
- Inform your provider if you have a history of perioral herpes (cold sores) to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
Day of Treatment
- Report any changes in health to your provider.
- You may wish to bring your own makeup to apply after your treatment.
- You may experience a mild amount of tenderness or a stinging sensation following injection.
- Redness and swelling are normal. Some bruising may also be visible.
Immediately After Treatment
- Try to exercise your treated muscles every 15-20 minutes for 1-2 hours following treatment. This helps to work BOTOX® into your muscles and can be accomplished by practicing frowning, raising your eyebrows and squinting.
- Stay in a vertical position for 4 hours following injection. Do not lie down; ensure you are sitting upright if you wish to rest.
- You may apply an ice or cold gel pack (avoiding pressure) to the treated area(s) to reduce swelling and potential bruising.
- Once the area has been adequately cooled as instructed, and any pinpoint bleeding at the injection site(s) has subsided, you may begin wearing makeup if you wish.
- AVOID placing excessive pressure on the treated area(s) for the first few days. When cleansing your face or applying makeup, be very gentle.
- You may resume other normal activities/routines immediately following treatment. AVOID exercise or strenuous activities for the remainder of the treatment day.
- If you experience any mild tenderness or discomfort you may take Acetaminophen/Tylenol.
- AVOID extended UV exposure until any redness/swelling has subsided. Be sure to apply an SPF 30 or higher.
Wait a minimum of 24 hours (or as directed by your provider) before receiving any skincare or laser treatments.