Laser Treatments for Scarring
Scars result from the body’s natural healing process. Whether scars are from injury, acne, burns or surgery, we understand they cause concern for many individuals. At Yazdani Aesthetics we offer laser treatments to address scarring.
The treatment of scars is quite complex, as specific qualities make each scar different. The amount of pigment in the scar, the scar texture, scar depth, as well as personal characteristics such as a patient’s age and ethnicity are just a few of the qualities that determine the best scar treatment plan. Often, we treat patients using laser therapy in combination with other therapeutic approaches such as skin care, chemical peels and microneedling to effectively address the scarring and attain the results you desire.
About Our Laser
At Yazdani Aesthetics, we use our PicoSure® laser to help treat scarring. Specifically, we use the FocusTM lens array to target and treat scars. Our laser technician can tailor treatments by using variable spot sizes to treat your scar with precision and accuracy. If we are treating acne scars, you may see results with as little as 2 treatments. For best aesthetic results we recommend 4-6 treatments spaced out in 4-6 week intervals, however, a consultation with our technician will help give you a better idea of what your unique treatment plan might look like.
We also use a CO2 laser to treat scars that are deeper. This ablative laser causes controlled and minor wounds, removing the epidermis (thin outer layer of skin), and heating the underlying layer (dermis) to stimulate the growth of collagen. As the epidermis recovers it heals itself and regrows. In time, there is an overall improvement of the skin surface and the treated scar appears less prominent and visible.
Why Do Scars Form?
Scars consist mostly of a protein called collagen, which is the most common tissue in the body. Our body’s healing process following injury or damage often “overcorrects,” resulting in an excessive production of collagen that can lead to abnormal scarring.
Laser Scarring Treatment Pre- and Post- Procedure Instructions
Before your Treatment
- No sun exposure, tanning beds, and sunless tanning cream for 4 weeks prior to treatment. Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of laser treatment and can increase the chance of post-treatment complications.
- Use a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 40 or higher. Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun.
- Remove all makeup, creams or oils on the treatment area prior to your appointment.
- Cleanse the treated area at least daily with water and a mild soap, then pat the area dry.
- Do not rub or scratch the treated area.
- Apply moisturizer to the area 2-3 times a day.
- You may feel warmth or a heat sensation which typically resolves in less than an hour, but may last up to 24 hours.
- You may experience slight swelling and redness of the treated area.
- It is normal to experience crusting, scabbing and/or blistering around the treated area. It is important that you do not shave or pick the area; keep it moist and let it resolve on its own.
- You may experience some discomfort following your treatment. This can be relieved by using cold gel packs and/or by taking acetaminophen/Tylenol.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area. Use a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with SPF 40 or higher. Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun.
- Avoid contact sports or any other activity that could cause injury of the treated area.
- Avoid swimming, soaking or using hot tubs/whirlpools until the skin has fully healed.
- You may wish to wear comfortable, soft clothing that will not irritate the treated area.
- Contact your provider if there is any indication of infection (redness, tenderness, or puss).